If youve been ordered by a court to carry SR-22 insurance, you may be unsure what this means or why you need it. The name itself is confusing because SR-22 insurance is not actually an insurance policy. Instead, the SR-22 is a document that you must file in addition to carrying auto insurance that informs the state that you do have insurance, backed by a state-verified auto insurance provider.
This confusion has led to a lot of car owners not understanding why they need it, what it is, or why it can impact your auto insurance costs. So here are some facts about SR-22 insurance coverage in Chicago:
- You dont file an SR-22; your auto insurance agency files it on your behalf. This is how the state verifies that you do indeed have coverage, and its why you wont be able to hide your SR-22 status from your insurance agency.
- SR-22 documents are often required by the courts for drivers who have had certain violations, like DUIs, speeding tickets, and more.
- There is a fee to file the SR-22 document, which your insurance agency will pass on to you. This is a one-time fee, and it is usually not that expensive. However, the fact that you have to have this document filed shows the insurance agency that youve had traffic violations. This, in turn, could cause your insurance premiums to be raised.
- In some cases, the court may declare that you have to pay all of your annual insurance plan up front with an SR-22 filing; this is because they want a guarantee that youll have insurance in the future. This is where many drivers find an SR-22 to be too expensive.
- No one has to carry an SR-22 forever. Usually, the state puts a three-year limit on how long you need it. It takes three years for a driving record to be cleared, so this is why you may have to carry it for this length of time.
Despite the additional cost, SR-22 insurance coverage in Chicago is not difficult to find, and may not be that much more expensive for most drivers. If you are looking for affordable options, contact us today at 773-838-3900. We can help you find the coverage provider that is right for your needs, and get you back on the road with no more worries. To know more about SR-22 Insurance Coverage visit Great Northern Insurance AgencyAdd to favorites